In 2011 the Blue Lake Rancheria Tribe formally organized a Department of Energy and Technologies to add resources, structure and direction to its various energy-related activities, to provide for the security and benefit of members of the Blue Lake Rancheria, other Tribes, and the local community.
In particular, the Department is tasked with development and adoption of renewable energy within a timeframe that helps prevent irreversible harm to public health, the Tribe's economy, and the environment.
The Tribe supports scientific consensus regarding global warming, including the Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation - Special Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (2011), domestic data from the National Academy of Sciences, global climate change data from the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), among other facts and findings.
Tribes have developed unique cultures based on prevailing regional climate. Greenhouse gases and climate change will severely impact the availability of resources, and create challenges for health systems, infrastructure, economics, and food sources.
Located within the State of California, the Tribe has identified the need to meet/exceed California's renewable energy standards in order to support, contribute to, and realize the environmental and economic benefits of California's energy framework, which in many ways is leading the globe toward greater environmental protection.
The Tribe is taking action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, increase energy efficiency and develop renewable energy resources. These actions create jobs, decrease pollution, save resources, and protect threatened and endangered species and habitat.
Ultimately, the Tribe's goal is to achieve 100% self-sufficiency through renewable energy rancheria-wide.
Illustrative BLR Energy Initiatives
- Base Interruptible Program
- Demand Bidding Program
- Blue Lake Hotel Energy Model (First in CA, 17% energy reduction)
- Energy Efficiency Programs
- CasinoGreen Program™
- Low-flow Plumbing
- Economizers on Air Conditioners
- Upgraded 100% HVAC to High- efficiency Standards and Ratings
- Timely Filter Replacements
- Insulated Windows
- All Lighting (bulbs, fixtures) Compliant with Current U.S./California Energy Code
- All New and Replacement Lighting is LED (wherever possible)
- Insulation Compliant with California Building Code
- Recycling Program (70+ tons/year)
- Biodiesel Transit (2014)
- Energy Audits
- Renewable Energy Feasibility
- Waste to Energy Feasibility
- Drought-resistant Landscaping