Public safety systems are shared and relied upon by the entire community.
The Blue Lake Rancheria Tribe has taken a leading role in Humboldt County to ensure both the availability and quality of the safety service continuum, including adequate staffing, equipment and services.
Public Safety Service Highlights
- The Blue Lake Rancheria has provided over $250,000 for full time permanent Humboldt County Sheriff positions to offset state budget cuts.
- The Blue Lake Rancheria Tribe funds the position of Fire Chief for the City of Blue Lake and the Blue Lake Fire Protection District.
- The Tribe supports the Blue Lake Volunteer Fire Department with funding for:
- Hazardous Materials (HazMat and HazWhopper) Training and Equipment
- Defibrillator and Jaws of Life
- Emergency Scene Lights and Generator
- Specialized Wildland Fire Equipment
- Web Gear
- Turn-outs, McClouds, Chainsaws
- Fire Department Event Support
- Educational Materials
- Ongoing Operational Needs
- The Rancheria provides emergency/disaster support whenever it is needed.
- The Blue Lake Casino was designed to be a certified Disaster Relief Center and External Evacuation Site. The Casino contains all the required infrastructure elements:
- Large Protected Interior Space
- Diesel Back-Up Generator
- Extensive Kitchen Facilities
- Food and Food-storage Facilities
- Fresh Drinking Water
- Showers and Extensive Restroom Facilities
- During recent floods, severe storms, forest fires and other emergency situations, the Casino has provided shelter and meals for displaced people and for fire fighters, police and other public safety workers.
- Both of the Tribe’s transit systems are available in an emergency; and buses and vans are available for planning and preparation.
- To ensure the longevity of area roads, the Tribe has contributed over $1.5 million in improvements, and provides annual funding for maintenance, operation and long-term replacement needs.
- The Tribe funded HazMat training for the Humboldt County Department of Public Health.
- The Blue Lake Rancheria Tribal Office maintains a library of public health information, open to the public.
- The Tribe is currently investigating the development of a Community Medical Complex.